different resolutions in virtual desktop

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Apr 27 13:37:07 BST 2010

mierdatutis mi posted on Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:57:17 +0200 as excerpted:

> would like to know if is possible to have different screen resolutions
> in different virutal desktop. I've tryed but I cant do it?

AFAIK, no, that's not possible, as it's xorg that handles screen
resolution, and nobody has (yet) hooked up virtual desktop switching to
the xorg screen resolution mechanism.

It is, however, possible to change resolutions with a single command,
xrandr, followed by the output you want to switch, the resolution, etc, on
the command line, and given that, to create a script that simplifies
things.  I've done that here.

And it is possible to hook either the individual commands or the script up
to specific keyboard shortcuts, as it's possible to do with any command.

At that point, it's a simple matter of hitting the hotkey sequence, and
the resolution changes according to what the linked command invoked.  I've
done that here as well, with a whole series of hotkeys setup, to switch to
any one of a whole set of screen resolution combinations (combinations, as
I have dual monitors).

In theory, then, you could setup a script that would change both the
screen resolution and the virtual desktop, thus linking the concepts, but
to my knowledge, no one has done so (yet?).  And in practice, I'd guess
that the need for such a thing is narrow enough that it's not likely to be
implemented as a mass-market thing anyway.  More likely, individual
installations would hack a script together to do what they need, which is
really what I've done here with my scripts, even though what I wanted (and
implemented) wasn't exactly what you describe.

That's a rather high level discussion.  If you want a bit more detail, we
can discuss things further.  FWIW, I've used a combination of bash
scripting, xrander invocation, and khotkey triggering, for my own solution.

If you are interested, include some details like how many monitors you use
and their relationship to each other, the resolutions your interested in,
whether you know much about bash scripting so I know how much explanation
I have to do, etc, and perhaps together, we can come up with at least the
hotkey invoked resolution switching.  I know that much works as I do it
here.  Hooking that into virtual desktop switching may be a bit more
challenging, but we'll see.