How to control your dad via the net?

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 22 18:46:13 BST 2010

On Thursday 22 Apr 2010 13:37:25 Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> > [..]
> >
> > If there's nothing like that, some remote desktop solution would be also
> > ok.  After googling, it seems that Xrdp [1] is the only remote desktop
> > protocol server implementation for Linux, and that project seems to be
> > dead since 3 years.  But if nobody suggests something else, I'll try it
> > out anyway.
>
> You could use NX, it works like a charm and is fast:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_technology

+1 from me, works a treat for supporting my Dad and my brother, also using
DynDNS.

Use the FreeNX server implementation on your Dad's machine, but I'd recommend
using the NoMachine client on your machine.

In my experience the one drawback is compositing isn't supported, if it's
turned on on your Dads machine then all you will get is a black screen.  A
workaround is to install the 'Toggle Compositing' plasmoid and put it on his
desktop, then get him to turn it off before you try connect.

Cheers!

John.