Konqueror renders garbage on this page

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Wed Apr 21 01:36:31 BST 2010

On 04/20/2010 03:28 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras posted on Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:14:31 +0300 as excerpted:
>
>> On 04/20/2010 06:56 AM, Patrick Nagel wrote:
>>> Hi,

>> Thanks.  I guess it's a driver issue.  I'm currently using the open
>> source ATI drivers (6.13.0) on X.Org server 1.7.6.
>
> No garbage here.  My system's similar to yours, but there's some
> differences which may be significant:
>
> * gentoo/~amd64 (with layman and the xorg and kde overlays)
>
> So if you run mostly stable amd64, perhaps with a few ~amd64 packages,
> that could be the difference, as could the overlays.

I'm running ~amd64, except that I masked xorg-server-1.8.0 (I can't deal
with its newly introduced bugs right now, but I don't think the xorg
version matters much anyway).  Everything else is up to date.

> Now some info you didn't provide:
>
> * OpenGL based kde effects/compositing, with window transparency enabled,
> but no drop-shadows.
>
> What kde effects/compositing mode are you running?  OpenGL or XRender/
> composite based, or off?  Do you have window transparency and/or drop-
> shadows enabled?  Does the problem change if you change those settings?

I'm using OpenGL compositing.  I didn't set or change any transparency
settings or shadows.  The problem doesn't go away if I disable
compositing completely.

> * mesa-7.8.1

Same here.

> * kernel: 2.6.34-rc4-54-g2ba3abd

gentoo-sources-2.6.33-r1

> * using KMS

UMS here.  KMS is very slow on my card (Radeon HD4870).

> * all compiled with gcc-4.4.3

Same here.  CFLAGS="-pipe -g -mtune=core2 -march=core2 -O2"

> * The graphics card is an AGP bus based Radeon hd4650, dual 1920x1200
> monitors connected via DVI.

PCI-e Radeon HD4870.  Single monitor, 1280x1024, digital DVI-D connection.

> * The system is always updated using -NuD, so always deep, newuse.

Same here.

> * After updates I always revdep-rebuild and emerge --ask --depclean.

Same here.

> Between always using deep newuse, and always running revdep-rebuild and
> depclean, the system should stay as clean of cruft as possible and I don't
> have to worry so much about outdated/incompatible ABI linkages and the
> like.

I manually keep my world file to the bare minimum required.

> * Check your KMS status and consider switching to it if you haven't.
> You'll definitely want kernel 2.6.33 or later, tho, for KMS.

As I stated above, KMS was extremely slow on my card last time I checked
it out.

I also tried the live ebuild of xf86-video-ati from the X11 overlay to
get the latest ATI driver from Git.  No change.

PS:
Just before when I was about to hit the "send" button for this post, it
occurred to me that there's one thing I didn't try: changing Qt's
graphics system.  The default on Gentoo is "native".  When I start
Konqueror with:

   konqueror -graphicssystem raster

to switch from "native" to "raster", the bug goes away.  No more
glitches.  However, raster results in slow as molasses performance,
especially when scrolling.  And I mean *really* slow and laggy.

So I guess it's a driver issue.  Might be worth reporting it upstream
(X.Org), but usually I don't since the reply you get is "use
kernel/mesa/drilib/drm from Git", which I'm not prepared to do :P  I'm
using the machine for the sake of using it, not to turn it into a beta
tester.