Konqueror renders garbage on this page

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Apr 20 13:28:20 BST 2010

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:14:31 +0300 as excerpted:

> On 04/20/2010 06:56 AM, Patrick Nagel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 2010-04-20 11:02, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> It seems that Konqueror produces garbage/artifacts when scrolling in
>>> this page:
>>>
>>>     http://www.nongnu.org/mingw-cross-env
>>>
>>> Can anybody confirm so I know it's not just me?
>>>
>>> KDE 4.4.2
>>> Qt 4.6.2
>>> Gentoo Linux AMD64

> Thanks.  I guess it's a driver issue.  I'm currently using the open
> source ATI drivers (6.13.0) on X.Org server 1.7.6.

No garbage here.  My system's similar to yours, but there's some
differences which may be significant:

* gentoo/~amd64 (with layman and the xorg and kde overlays)

So if you run mostly stable amd64, perhaps with a few ~amd64 packages,
that could be the difference, as could the overlays.

* kde 4.4.2 (same as you)

* qt 4.6.2 (same as you)

* xorg-server-1.8.0 (different)

* xf86-video-ati-6.13.0 (same)

Now some info you didn't provide:

* OpenGL based kde effects/compositing, with window transparency enabled,
but no drop-shadows.

What kde effects/compositing mode are you running?  OpenGL or XRender/
composite based, or off?  Do you have window transparency and/or drop-
shadows enabled?  Does the problem change if you change those settings?

* mesa-7.8.1

* kernel: 2.6.34-rc4-54-g2ba3abd

(I run direct linus git kernels.  That's my last update and what's
currently running.)

* using KMS

* all compiled with gcc-4.4.3

* The graphics card is an AGP bus based Radeon hd4650, dual 1920x1200
monitors connected via DVI.

* The system is always updated using -NuD, so always deep, newuse.

* After updates I always revdep-rebuild and emerge --ask --depclean.

Between always using deep newuse, and always running revdep-rebuild and
depclean, the system should stay as clean of cruft as possible and I don't
have to worry so much about outdated/incompatible ABI linkages and the
like.

* Note that I normally surf using privoxy as an adblocker and with a
ruleset that can at times dramatically alter the presentation of the page,
as it helps to enforce my strong light text on dark backgrounds
preference.  However, I tried that page with privoxy both enabled and
disabled, and all it seemed to change was the color, no display corruption
either way.

Agreeing with you, I *STRONGLY* suspect it's graphics driver related, as
scrolling screen corruption issues tend to be.  Also, there have been some
serious updates to the freedomware Radeon drivers on both the userspace
and kernelspace sides recently, especially for the r600+ driver (and
evergreen, which wasn't supported at all before), pretty much any Radeon
hdXXXX model.

Based on that, and given that you're already running the latest qt and
kde, the latest xf86-video-ati driver, and a reasonably recent xorg-
server, I'd suggest:

* Double-check (and post) your mesa version.

* Ensure you're running the latest release kernel, 2.6.33, because as I
said, there's *SIGNIFICANT* changes/improvements to Radeon OpenGL support
there, especially for the hdXXXX cards thru hd4xxx (r600+ driver).  For
the earlier r300+ driver (basically the Radeon xXXXX series cards, with a
couple exceptions), the critical kernel version was one earlier, 2.6.32,
but 2.6.33 certainly won't hurt.  (If you're running an earlier Radeon
than that, Radeon 92xx or earlier, the r200 driver, kde4 will work, but
you'll have trouble with effects, and will wish to either disable them
entirely or at least tune them very specifically, as the system will be
nearly unworkably slow, otherwise.  I know, as until recently I was
running a Radeon 9250.)

* Check your KMS status and consider switching to it if you haven't.
You'll definitely want kernel 2.6.33 or later, tho, for KMS.

* Post your graphics card model info along with window transparency/drop-
shadow options, and report whether disabling effects and/or changing
between OpenGL and XRender mode makes a difference.