Flickering in graphics-heavy applications

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Apr 1 03:26:17 BST 2010

Dotan Cohen posted on Thu, 01 Apr 2010 02:43:31 +0300 as excerpted:

>> Which ATI card?
>>

> ATI Radeon Mobility X1400
>

>> The older r300-r500 drivers (generally the xXXXX series cards, with a
>> few exceptions at either end) are somewhat better, but of course, the
>> hardware is generally weaker, too.  That'd probably depend on the
>> resolution you're running stuff.
>
> I'm running at 1680*1050 with the FOSS drivers. Note that Compiz / Kwin
> effects run smooth as silk.

OK, the radeon manpage says that's the rv505/rv515/rv516/rv550, so
definitely the r300 (thru r5xx) driver.

That one's somewhat more mature than the r600 (thru r7xx) driver.  You've
had OpenGL support for some time.  1680*1050's likely fine, but you might
have issues running double that (dual monitor like my 1920x1200 stacked
for 1920x2400).  I don't know the real detail on that driver tho, as I
rather skipped that level of hardware.

AFAIK, that driver got KMS the kernel before the r600/700 driver did, so I
think you should be able to get it with kernel 2.6.31, tho the kms-by-
default option was in the kernel staging drivers area until 2.6.33.  With
2.6.33 it's in the main driver options, now.  Certainly for the r600/700
driver, 2.6.33 is HIGHLY preferred.  I don't believe it makes as much
difference for the r300-500 driver.

Also, while Nikos is absolutely correct about wanting kms and the absolute
newest stuff (even not-yet-released) for the r600/r700 driver, I'm not
sure it's such a big deal with the older r300-500 driver, tho if you do
any outside-X work at all, you'll almost certainly want KMS once you see
how nice it is.  But I do think the OpenGL support is actually better with
KMS off on the older hardware/driver, at least until kernel 2.6.33 and the
upcoming mesa and radeon driver releases to match it, at which point kms
will be preferred.