Flickering in graphics-heavy applications

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Thu Apr 1 01:16:35 BST 2010

On 03/31/2010 02:46 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> In KDE 4.4 with Composting enabled I get flickering in graphics-heavy
> applications such as Stellarium and Google Earth. I have an ATI video
> card and use the FOSS drivers as provided by my distro (Kubuntu). Is
> this a Kwin bug, or Stellarium/Google Earth bug? Video plays fine.

You need to enable KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) and need DRI2 capable
kernel and xf86-video-ati package in order to have correct OpenGL
rendering with compositing effects enabled.  The FOSS ATI driver does
not support DRI2 without KMS.

You need kernel 2.6.32, with 2.6.33 being preferred.  To enable KMS, you
need to use the "modeset=1" option when loading the "radeon" module.  If
you compiled the radeon driver into the kernel instead as a module (the
preferred way), you need to use the "radeon.modeset=1" kernel option (in
the Grub configuration file).  If you use the VESA framebuffer console,
it can conflict with KMS (KMS provides its own framebuffer console.)  In
that case, you can disable the VESA fb with the "video=vesafb:off" Grub
parameter (if VESA fb is built into the kernel), or blacklist the
"vesafb" module if VESA fb is compiled as a module.