Installing stuff from kde-look.org

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 19 10:00:33 BST 2009

<cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > One of the things that people keep asking for is a replacement for
> > gkrellm. I've just seen Automatik http://www.kde-
> > look.org/content/show.php?action=content&content=106812 and it looks
> > promising.  However, after downloading the .tgz and unpacking it, I
> > haven't a clue what to do now.
> >
> > Can someone first help me to do this?  I'll then do a write-up for
> > userbase about that.
>
> Not sure abuot plasmoids/widgets for KDE 4  (KDE 4.3.1 in openSUSE
> 11.1 - since I use the panels mostly for shortcuts to Text Editor,
> Konsole, Dolphin, etc),  but if you want a display of system info that
> is also highly configurable, 'Conky' is a lightweight system info
> utility with lots of options:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/conky/
> http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html

Thanks, I'll take a look later today.

There actually was a bug in the AutomatiK widget, which the developer has now
fixed.  AutomatiK and Lappy, both superkaramba widgets, give a huge amount
of information, but at the expense of a lot of screen real estate.  I couldn't
live with either on my main working desktop.  By using tiny fonts and the
configuration panel it's possible to tuck gkrellm away into a corner, where
it's fairly unobtrusive, so while these two widgets have value in their own
right, they aren't really a replacement for gkrellm.  FWIW, I have them on a
separate activity, quickly available via activity-switcher bar.

Anne