Installing stuff from kde-look.org

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:37:07 BST 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 19:17:54 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 14 September 2009 17:29:04 Paul Hartman wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Anne Wilson
> >
> > <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > One of the things that people keep asking for is a replacement for
> > > gkrellm. I've just seen Automatik http://www.kde-
> > > look.org/content/show.php?action=content&content=106812 and it looks
> > > promising.  However, after downloading the .tgz and unpacking it, I
> > > haven't a clue what to do now.
> > >
> > > Can someone first help me to do this?  I'll then do a write-up for
> > > userbase about that.
> > >
> > > If there is any information I need to write it up properly for general
> > > use, please include it.  Thanks
> >
> > I think you go to Add Widgets and select to add from file (sorry I'm
> > not in KDE at the moment to try it)
>
> It doesn't seem that simple.  I navigated to the folder and there were only
> two files there that seemed possible, Automatik.py and Automatik.theme.  I
> tried both, with no noticeable effect.  This is a karamba theme - and I've
> never used anything karamba before, to the best of my knowledge, so I'm not
> really sure what to expect.  All I know is that I don't see Automatik
>  either on the widget list or in the themes list.

One step forward, two back.  From googling I tried 'karamba' in krunner, and
sure enough it brought up superkaramba which allowed me to select
Automatik.theme, which then appeared on a list of available themes.  I chose
Install to Desktop, and got a large translucent panel, full height of the
screen and about 20% of the width.  Two of them, stacked, in fact.  (I also
got two Activity Bars in addition to the normal hiding one).  The translucent
panels don't have any obvious handles or configuration options.  I've closed
one of them, but I'm left with this huge stripe that does nothing.  Perhaps
it's time to ask the developer for help.

Anne