Character sets / encoding

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 12 08:21:53 BST 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 11 September 2009 02:43:10 James Tyrer wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> Here KMail is set to use
>>> the following
>>>
>>> utf-8
>>> utf-8 (locale)
>>> us-ascii
>>> iso-8859-1
>>>
>>> Now whether that means that if one doesn't fit it falls back to the next
>>> one, I don't know.  What do you think?
>> If you check the source, you will find:
>>
>> 	text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>>
>> You have iso-8859-1 in the list, so it worked.
>>
>> Perhaps you could check the source of one of the emails that produced
>> the "�" character set and see what says, or perhaps it says nothing.
>>
> No, all I can see in the header is that it was sent from KMail - so my other
> theory is wrong.

IIUC, you looked in the email which you received, that you thought might
have come from someone using MS-Windows and it came from KMail in the
header.  If that is the case, it would appear that the auto detect in
KMail is failing to select the correct character encoding.  The one I
sent using ISO-8859-1 had that in the header so it would be detected
correctly without using autodetect.

---
JRT