Character sets / encoding

Peter Lewis lewisp at avex.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 22:57:07 BST 2009

On Sunday 06 Sep 2009 Anne Wilson sent:

> In KMail I have problems with accented characters, resulting in this like
> L�ck.  I assume this is a problem of character encoding.  There doesn't
> seem to be anywhere in systemsettings that I can check and possibly alter
> that. Any suggestions?

I find this sort of behaviour on several websites as viewed in Firefox, often
where a British pound sign should be. When I view the source in a tool to
shows the hexadecimal value of the characters (okteta for example) I find that
they are all group values greater than 0x7f, that is beyond the encoding scope
of most character sets.
I just assumed that the funny negative question mark is a way of saying "what
the heck".

The characters that you sent were 0x4c 0xef 0xbf 0xbd 0x63 0x6b so I am not
surprised that nothing much could be done with it.

--
Kind regards,
Peter Lewis