Character sets / encoding

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 10 07:26:16 BST 2009

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 21:35:05 James Tyrer wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 07 September 2009 17:08:25 Carlos Luna wrote:
> >> I think this could help you. (It's for config locales in your system)
> >> http://www.adslayuda.com/Linux-locales.html
> >
> > Thanks, but I do have the correct locale installed, and I use utf-8,
> > which should, as far as I know, handle all European accented characters
> > without a problem.  In fact in many applications it does.
>
> After some further research, I am starting to think that this is a bug.
>   The reason is that it isn't just IBM cp1252 that is screwed up but
> also ISO 8859-1 has the same problem.
>
> When a text file composed in either code page which contains characters
>
> >= 128 (>7F Hex) is opened wit UTF-8, it fails to properly decode the
>
> glyphs >= 128.  This happens despite the fact that the apps which I have
> tried correctly count the number of glyphs before changing them to the
> FFFD Hex character ?.
>
> The >=128 glyphs which I commonly user are: äëïöüñ.  Since I am sending
> this email in ISO 8859-1, these characters will not appear correctly if
> viewed with UTF-8.
>
> I have found that the only solution to this problem is to set the code
> page for incoming mail to either ISO 8859-1 or IBM cp 1252.

Not sure  what's happening James.  If the characters you typed were umlauted,
as they seem to be, then they are reading correctly on this netbook (I'll
check on another machine later).  Here KMail is set to use the following

utf-8
utf-8 (locale)
us-ascii
iso-8859-1

Now whether that means that if one doesn't fit it falls back to the next one, I
don't know.  What do you think?

Anne
Anne