folderview lock icons

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed Sep 9 20:08:58 BST 2009

On Thursday 10 September 2009 02:17:22 Duncan
wrote:
> Rick Miles posted on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 20:29:34
+1000 as excerpted:
> > I might just go back to making up my own
> > desktop files and dragging them onto the
> > desktop instead of using folderview. It works
> > well enough and I don't need much because I'm
> > a big fan of Alt F2 when I don't have konsole
> > open but there's some urls and other things I
> > like to having icons for.
>
> You might be interested in the Quick Access
> plasmoid from kde-look.org. It's a better
> version of folderview, allowing you to browse
> from a fly- out menu, then open files or
> folders somewhere down the tree.
>
> I've been using similar functionality for
> years, every since the IE4 Active Desktop
> update for MSWindows 95 (I didn't switch to
> Linux/KDE until I upgraded to Linux instead of
> eXPrivacy, due to the anti-privacy and
> activation anti-features that triggered the
> nickname).
>
> What I did with kde3 is create a directory with
> symlinks to the various important filesystem
> locations, and in turn, put a symlink to that
> on my desktop (and made it my konqueror
> filemanager profile home as well, instead of my
> homedir, tho the homedir was one of the
> symlinks).
>
> With kde4 and Quick Access, I simply point
> Quick Access at that dir instead.
Thanks for the tip I'll have a look but it's a
shame when one has to add something else to get
less and all I require is some icons that stay
where I put them without folderview, quick access
or the kkitchen sink.

Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Pungenday, the 34th of Bureaucracy,
3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au