folderview lock icons

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Sep 9 10:42:23 BST 2009

Rick Miles posted on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:10:09 +1000 as excerpted:

> On kde-4.2.4 I note that when I position all icons so that there is no
> up/down scroll bar and lock them in place, that after a couple of log
> ins the icons creep upwards and the scroll bar returns. Is this normal?

You stated the issue well enough, but you neglected to mention the
location of the icons you're talking about.  Are you talking about a
folderview plasmoid on the normal desktop view, or the folderview desktop
view (was that in 4.2 or was it added for 4.3?), or on the panel, or in
an application other that plasma?

Never-the-less, I know there's still bugs in that regard in plasma, up
thru current 4.3.1.  The one I'm aware of is that while panels can be set
very small (short on the horizontal ones, narrow on the vertical ones),
they tend to return toward their defaults, getting a bit bigger each time
something changes (a login, switching desktop resolutions, anything that
forces plasma to recalculate sizes).  That one I happened across on
bugzilla before I noticed it here, but it's certainly frustrating.

According to that bug, plasma fails to account for the size of a bit of
the trim, or some such, reading it one way and writing it the other, so
that each time it rereads, the panel grows a bit.

It's reasonably likely that there are other similar sizing and location
related bugs, one of which it sounds like you have.

FWIW, 4.2.4 was barely getting usable enough for me to switch from kde3
(and that's after I spent huge amounts of time customizing it and working
around issues still there, while in the process of switching from kde3),
but each new version continues to fix vast amounts of bugs still there in
kde4.  4.3 was definitely a measurable improvement over 4.2.4, with the
incremental 4.3.1 fixing at least one bug that was very bad for users
(including me) with older graphics cards that are already struggling with
graphics in 4.x, so it was a sizable improvement here as well.

What I'm saying is that even if you're on a distribution that normally
doesn't provide updates to "stable" packages within a single distribution
release, I'd strongly recommend upgrading kde shortly after it comes out
upstream.  (Wait a week and check the forums if you are a cautious type,
to see if anyone's howling about something breaking.)  Really, at least
for now, every kde release is a serious bugfix release, and upgrading is
likely to be worth it.  At least consider the major 4.x updates (starting
from 4.x.1 if you're the cautious type), as knowing how much better 4.3
is relative to 4.2, it pains me to see folks still struggling with 4.2
issues, some of which I know are fixed in 4.3.  As I said 4.3 does have
an issue similar to what you're describing, but given the rate of
improvement and the fact that I don't know otherwise, it really is
possible the bug you're describing is fixed in 4.3.0 or 4.3.1.