SSL/TLS-configuration in KDE 4.3

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Sun Sep 6 19:45:03 BST 2009

In <200909042256.02976.john_82 at tiscali.co.uk>, John wrote:
>On Friday 04 September 2009 13:53:24 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <200909041312.26461.john_82 at tiscali.co.uk>, John wrote:
>> >Dare I mention how it's impossible to add to the address book once
>> > kwallet has been activated without editing files.
>>
>> That doesn't make sense to me.  I just KWallet for all my passwords for
>> KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.2 and I have no problem editing and adding to my address
>> book when it is open.
>
>The address book '/home/john/.kde/share/apps............' is locked by
>application ''.
>If you believe this is incorrect, just remove the lock file
>from '/home/john...................

So, you have a slate lock file sitting around.  You should quiesse the system
to the point you know the lock file isn't being used and then remove it.  That
has little, if anything to do with kwallet and is more likely caused by a
kmail or kontact crash or hang.

>This also leaves me wondering why an
>application can read the files without having obtained a password.

The address book is not password protected.

>> > I'm also
>> > concerned about the fact that there is clearly a back door into the
>> > system.
>>
>> Details?
>
>The backdoor goes back to a spooky experience on here.

[Snip: rumormill and conjucture]

You have no proof or even evidence that there is a back door in kwallet.  You
are being paranoid.  As Duncan mentioned, missing files are more likely the
result of a fault file system journal or other file system issues than the
result of a kwallet back door.

If you have some actual claims, they can be investigated.  (IIRC, OpenBSD
ships KDE and has little to no qualms about calling out security issues in
software.)  Until then, please don't claim there is a back door without
qualifying it; it needlessly scares others.

There is *NOT* "clearly a back door".  That's a vast overstatement of your
experience.
bss at iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))