unmount usb devices

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Sep 6 01:31:42 BST 2009

Rick Miles posted on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 09:54:35 +1000 as excerpted:

> OK this seems to be working but I get a message saying it can't be
> unmounted because one or more files are open. This I believe is a hal or
> permission problem as I have nothing open.

See the fuser manpage, particularly the -m option.  Here (Gentoo), fuser
is a part of the psmisc package, if you don't happen to have the command
available, but it's likely you do as psmisc is considered quite basic,
with apps often used by system shell scripts, etc.  (Naturally, run the
fuser command in a CLI, that is, command-line interface, such as konsole,
and either use the same to read manpages with the man <manpage> command,
or use the man: kioslave, typing man: into a dolphin or konqueror window.)

fuser -m should let you know what's using the device, and let you kill it
if desired (assuming you have appropriate privs, that is, aren't trying
to kill a root process as your normal user or the like...).  Again, see
the manpage for the details.