KDE4 Control Center confusing

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 30 17:13:02 GMT 2009

On Friday 30 October 2009 15:49:56 Duncan wrote:
> Anne Wilson posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:10:28 +0000 as excerpted:
> >> Looking in the control center under device actions left me stumped
> >> trying to figure out how to change that so I can choose Open with File
> >> Manager.
> >>

> > Basically it is exactly the same as in KDE 3.x.  The context list is
> > affected by your choices in File Associations.  In 3.x you could add to
> > the list with a context menu, IIRC, but the main way was always in the
> > Control Centre, File Associations section.  In KDE4 it's in
> > SystemSettings > Advanced tab > File Associations.  Add to the list any
> > applications that you want to associate with the file type, remembering
> > that the top one in the list will be the default - again, exactly as it
> > was in KDE 3.
>
> Read that double-quoted part again, Anne, it's not file associations but
> device actions that "generic" is talking about.  I don't remember the
> details of how kde3 handled that, but kde4 is far more hal-action-centric
> in that regard.  Unfortunately, hal isn't the most intuitive thing around
> to try to configure.

You're right, of course.  I read it as 'context menu' presence.  I don't know
the answer to this, but it might be buried in one of the .desktop files in
/usr/share/kde4/services.  I know krunner gets info from there, and many other
things look there for 'keywords'.  It's obviously not something you are
intended to alter, but if you find it, I don't see why not.  I don't actually
ever remember seeing the facility to alter it in KDE3 either - where did you
do it there?

Anne