KDE4 Control Center confusing

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Oct 30 15:49:56 GMT 2009

Anne Wilson posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:10:28 +0000 as excerpted:

>> Looking in the control center under device actions left me stumped
>> trying to figure out how to change that so I can choose Open with File
>> Manager.
>>
> Basically it is exactly the same as in KDE 3.x.  The context list is
> affected by your choices in File Associations.  In 3.x you could add to
> the list with a context menu, IIRC, but the main way was always in the
> Control Centre, File Associations section.  In KDE4 it's in
> SystemSettings > Advanced tab > File Associations.  Add to the list any
> applications that you want to associate with the file type, remembering
> that the top one in the list will be the default - again, exactly as it
> was in KDE 3.

Read that double-quoted part again, Anne, it's not file associations but
device actions that "generic" is talking about.  I don't remember the
details of how kde3 handled that, but kde4 is far more hal-action-centric
in that regard.  Unfortunately, hal isn't the most intuitive thing around
to try to configure.

In fact, having done a bit of it myself, I must say configuring hal can
easily be obtuse to the point of extreme frustration even for someone
accustomed to dealing with bare text config files and who was configuring
and compiling his own kernel even before he chose his email program on
Linux.  It might be designed to make plug-N-pray possible for the Linux
newbie, but God help the poor soul who finds it doesn't do quite what he
wants and decides to try to configure the thing!

With the GUI style device (notifier) actions config, KDE has done an
exemplary job of making the extremely obtuse reasonably possible, but
there's simply no getting around the fact that what's being configured is
complex and obtuse to the point of challenging even the hardcore Linux
geek, and even with KDE's best efforts at simplification and a GUI config
to work with, it's not a simple thing to configure.  But I'll take it any
day over the obtuseness of hal's textfile config, that's for SURE!

Anyway, I'm working on a longer explanation myself.  But you know how
detailed I get, and that takes time...