Konsole in English

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Tue Oct 27 01:14:55 GMT 2009

James and Dotan,

| > Which file is that? I know that it is probably .profile or
| > .bash_profile but I cannot test because this is a work machine. I need
| > to know which file _only_ affects Konsole and other terminal
| > emulators, but WILL NOT affect other KDE and non-KDE GUI applications
| >
| You are correct that this won't work.
|
| First, it isn't really correct to change the environment in the
| ".bashrc" file.

I don't see why.  Remember Dotan's requirements.  The menus of
konsole should be in a different language; the command lines should
be in English.  .bashrc is a very good place to achieve that.

|  The environment should be changed with the
| ".bash_profile" script.

If you want them to be effective everywhere, yes.
But, if you want them to be effective only on the command line of bash
(and its children), then .bashrc is the place.  This is one of the
reasons why we have two files, .bashrc and .bash_profile,
in the first place.

Suppose that we export LANG=C in .bashrc .  There is one problem
remaining.  Env. vars. are inherited by children.  So, if you
invoke konsole from the command line, like so,

   $ konsole &

then it sees LANG=C and its menus will be in English.

To comprehensively solve this problem, you might want to
always invoke konsole as

   $ LANG=your_native_language konsole

or

   $ env LANG=your_native_language konsole

To make this automatic, you can edit your konsole.desktop file and replace

   Exec=konsole

with

   Exec=env LANG=your_native_language konsole

This is an alternative to the following method:

| What you can do is to start Konsole with a scrip (e.g. konsole_english):
|
| ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
| #! /bin/bash
|
| LANG="C"
| export LANG
|
| exec konsole

| and modify the:
|
| 	$KDEDIR/share/applications/kde4/konsole.desktop
|
| file to read (for example)
|
| 	Exec=konsole_english

Regards,
Ryo