Konsole in English

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 26 22:15:58 GMT 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Or, since this is basically a setting of the shell, add the adjustment to the
>> shell's startup file(s).
>>

> Which file is that? I know that it is probably .profile or
> .bash_profile but I cannot test because this is a work machine. I need
> to know which file _only_ affects Konsole and other terminal
> emulators, but WILL NOT affect other KDE and non-KDE GUI applications

You are correct that this won't work.

First, it isn't really correct to change the environment in the
".bashrc" file.  The environment should be changed with the
".bash_profile" script.

Second, if you do so (either way), it will affect the whole KDE session
for that user.

What you can do is to start Konsole with a scrip (e.g. konsole_english):

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
#! /bin/bash

LANG="C"
export LANG

exec konsole

and modify the:

	$KDEDIR/share/applications/kde4/konsole.desktop

file to read (for example)

	Exec=konsole_english

Then if you find that you need other things in the environment changed,
you can simply add them to the script.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch