Plasma alternative

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 18 08:19:57 BST 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 05:43:37 James Tyrer wrote:
> Ryan Rix wrote:
> > Andrew Mason wrote:
> >> Plasma it's self is pretty easily replaced, any of the desktop shells
> >> will work.
> >
> > And it's VERY easily customisable to fit your tastes more than any other
> > desktop shell...
>
> Well, it is, in theory at least, customizable but I have to say that
> because things can only be set by dragging the mouse that it isn't easy.
>   The problem is that when you extensively customize it, the instability
> starts to be a real problem.  Don't take this wrong, I like the Plasma
> DeskTop, or would like it if it weren't for the instability.  Then there
> is the matter of taste: I would like to have a Plasma theme that matched
> the application and window manager themes that I am using.

While instability was a problem in earlier versions, by 4.3 I see practically
none.  I suspect that some problems are caused by interactions between
applications and/or customisations.  This inevitably makes it hard to track
problems down, so filing bug reports with maximum supporting information is
the only way to stand a chance of solving a problem such as this.

Anne