Poor composting performance in KDE 4.3

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 16 05:14:29 BST 2009

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 10/16/2009 02:01 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Which drivers are you using?  If you use AMD Catalyst (Ubuntu calls them
>>> "restricted"), you need to make sure you run the latest version, 9.10
>>> Ubuntu beta:
>>>
>>>    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUxNA
>>>
>>> Old version have plenty of bugs with compositing.
>>>
>> Interesting, thanks. I recently saw an article on Phoronix where the
>> FOSS driver beat the proprietary driver in almost every benchmark.
>
> For 2D.  3D with FOSS drivers is a few light-years behind Catalyst right
> now, unfortunately.

Well, yes and no.  There is still a strange issue with the "radeon"
driver (as of the date [unknown] of the man page I have); the 3D
acceleration only works with the older chips.  So, it works fine on my
old RV280 based board (Radeon 9200) but there isn't/wasn't any 3D
acceleration for the  RS780 chip (HD 3200).  I don't know if this is
going to be ported to the newer chips now that the documentation is
available or if the work will be only on the somewhat experimental
"radeonhd" driver which doesn't have 3D acceleration yet.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch