Poor composting performance in KDE 4.3

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Fri Oct 16 00:22:08 BST 2009

On 10/16/2009 02:01 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Which drivers are you using?  If you use AMD Catalyst (Ubuntu calls them
>> "restricted"), you need to make sure you run the latest version, 9.10
>> Ubuntu beta:
>>
>>    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUxNA
>>
>> Old version have plenty of bugs with compositing.
>>

> Interesting, thanks. I recently saw an article on Phoronix where the
> FOSS driver beat the proprietary driver in almost every benchmark.

For 2D.  3D with FOSS drivers is a few light-years behind Catalyst right
now, unfortunately.

To find out which driver you're using, do this:

   lsmod | grep fglrx

if this returns nothing, you're using the FOSS drivers.  If it says
something like:

   fglrx     2241656  34

You're using the binary driver.  If it turns out you're using the FOSS
drivers, then you should follow the advice others gave you and create an
xorg.conf where you enable EXA.