panel usability

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Nov 25 17:49:18 GMT 2009

xPol posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:50:11 +0100 as excerpted:

> I think panels are an important tool for end users. Do kde4 envision a
> new approach of the user to the workstation, to reduce or replace the
> utility of panels? I would like to know more about that.

The specific questions are answered elsewhere.  As Anne also indicates
about these more general questions but in different words, plasma is
indeed a new approach in many ways, but is very much still maturing, with
some features not yet fully developed to the point they were originally
envisioned, and others modified after initial deployment, as people found
it didn't work quite as well in practice as the original vision expected.

That said, I don't expect panels will be disappearing any time soon.
They're just too useful.  But the implementation will certainly be
changing some as the authors develop their vision, and find out what
actually works and what doesn't, in deployment.  As just one example, not
specifically panel related but very much plasma related, the zoom-based
interface to switching desktop "activities" was a nice vision, but it
turned out to be rather more unwieldy in practice than most people were
willing to put up with, so kde 4.4 will change that interface quite a
bit.  I'm not running trunk so haven't seen it for myself, but from what
I've read, I think the zoom interface will be still there, but while
currently, some options are ONLY available from there, they'll be made
available in the general GUI (from the cashew/toolbox, the desktop
settings dialog, or kcontrol/systemsettings, possibly multiple places)
from 4.4 on, so people won't have to discover or use the zoom interface
at all to access these options.  (AFAIK, the activity-per-virtual-desktop
option is only available when zoomed out, presently, for instance.  BTW,
that's another case in point, as that wasn't part of the original vision
either, but was added because so many people found it more intuitive to
think of and switch virtual desktops and activities as a single unit,
rather than separately.)

To really get an idea what the vision is, and where it's heading next,
the best thing to do is to follow Aaron Segio's blog, as available on kde-
planet.  Right now I'm way behind in my feeds, but that's what I've been
doing.