panel usability

xPol xtekhne at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 06:50:11 GMT 2009

I am striving to use the panel in kde 4.3.3, the same smart way as in
kde 3.5. Here are my first remarks:
- it is difficult to select option in the panel setting--> 'more
settings'; that is menu items do dot react upon clicking and i cannot
see any mark denoting that the option has been activated. (i am using
the bespin desktop theme; is it the same with the default oxygen
theme?)

- i cannot set panel both in auto-hide mode and on top of another
panel; that is, when panel is in auto-hide mode, it  always lays below
the other panel, at the same edge.

- i cannot use a screen corner to show up hidden panels; that is i am
forced to use the screen edges. That is very annoying, especially with
laptops, since the mouse pointer often happens to hit the edge by
mistake,  while moving windows and pointing at drop-down menus.

I think panels are an important tool for end users. Do kde4 envision a
new approach of the user to the workstation, to reduce or replace the
utility of panels? I would like to know more about that.

Thank you
---P