Is there a howto on essentials.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 22 05:36:39 GMT 2009

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2009-11-18, James Tyrer wrote:
<SNIP>
> yes, /usr/local/share:/usr/share should be the default for
> XDG_DATA_DIRS if not set to anything else. Since you wrote "had to
> add": did you have to set to something else before?
>
>> And now they are there without adding them.  But, I can't add them
>> to the Panel.
>
> Hmm, works for me using drag&drop onto an unlocked panel. Even moved
> applets aside to make space. Also works to drop on the quick launch
> applet.

Perhaps I should clarify that I can add the icons to the Panel, the
problem is that they don't have the correct icon and they don't open the
applets.  KDE-4 is installed in /usr/KDE-4 and the 'desktop' files are
in: "/usr/share/applnk/Utilities/XUtilities".  The problem, the bug, is
that the URL in: "$HOME/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc" is
wrong.  Correcting it by hand fixed the problem.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch