Is there a howto on essentials.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 20 10:22:56 GMT 2009

On Friday 20 November 2009 00:17:03 Duncan wrote:
> Rick Miles posted on Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:42:51 +1100 as excerpted:
> > Maybe you don't have any problem with people who have been around the
> > longest and are set in their ways either but I wouldn't be surprised if
> > there were not others besides RW and myself who found several of your
> > comments a bit gratuitous.
>
> FWIW, if there's any single person the comments could have been targeted
> at, it's probably me, as I've been probably the most vocal of the "old
> timers".  But I took no offense.  In some ways, he's correct (there
> /were/ pretty fundamental changes).  In others, I may not agree (a person
> set in their ways isn't the type that's constantly out there trying beta
> or even live sources software, and thus able to state with some
> experience that such is what kde feels like at this point), but I can see
> how it could seem so from his viewpoint (which would therefore make his
> comments not "gratuitous", by definition), and everyone's entitled to an
> opinion, which they can certainly make known, as I do my own.  So no
> offense taken.  He's simply speaking his mind as I have.
>
> OTOH, the same could be said about both of you, now, simply being honest
> about being a bit taken aback.  And round and round the logic goes... =:^)
>
> But anyway, just a post to say I didn't find it a big deal here, even if
> it was arguably aimed at me (not sayin' it was, just that it could appear
> that way, so if anyone's going to take offense, by rights, it should be
> me, and if I'm not...).

Thank you for the level-headed reply, Duncan.  For some reason, people who
have problems with KDE4 object to others saying that they don't.  It's
unproductive.  As you say, we all have a right to an opinion - and if our
experiences vary, is that surprising?

Please, everyone, do stop writing things that sound like personal attacks.
One person has a problem, another doesn't.  Let's attack the problem, not the
person.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group