CD ripping

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Thu Nov 19 18:28:08 GMT 2009

Hello,

Tried to correctly use k3b for cd ripping, but had some problems -- se below.

Looked for alternatives in kde, found mentions of kaudiocd (not quite sure of the name, now), but couldn't find it anywhere -- except for sources. I could certainly compile and install it, but then don't know how to let the overall environment be aware of it. (read: integration inside kde)

Else k3b and ripping seems full of issues, unless i don't proceed correctly:

* Couldn't find settings for ripping in "configure k3b (eg: where to save result by default, filename format, ogg quality)

* k3b does not seem to record actual settings entered -- have to reenter everything for each new cd.

* k3b crashes when trying to rip a cd with additional data (eg executable menu or bonuses)
[note: I tried to sent a bug report, but the traceback was pointed as "useless". Read everything about useful bug report, but info did not apply (there was no ?? in traceback, k3b has no -dbg package, so what was wrong?).]

* Found no way to let k3b create and/or write to /artist/album folder directly. All has to be done by hand (like in the XXth century -- remember? ;-).

Well, nothing here really terrible -- but I have ~ 100 cds to record... help gratefully welcome. In the meanwhile, i'll explore wikpedia/cd ripper for alternatives.

Thank you,
Denis