some questions & more questions

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Tue Nov 17 16:32:40 GMT 2009

Le Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:36:46 +0000,
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> stated:

> I'm going to snip lots out, to keep this short and readable :-)

[...same for me...]

 If you open that and search for
> kdebase- workspace or kdebase-desktop, that should give you the version
> number.

right: should be kde4.2.2. For any reason couldn't install kde4.3.3 on current kubuntu 9.04 (errors from package manager). So as recommended on kubuntu's site, I'm currently downloading 9.10 to install latest kde from there.

> You must bear in mind that windows developers are paid, full-time
> workers. That's a very different situation.  The issue is being addressed,
> but it can't happen overnight.  Userbase (as in my sig) is the wiki by
> which we can get essential information around in the meantime.

Sorry for my expression if anyone found it irrespectful, was not so intended at all (but I'm aware that cultural/language specific features are full of traps). I already found many things here and there on the internet and thank to your answers here on the list. Antway, it's just a question beeing accustomed to the new (and rather different) "plasmic" paradigm. There are some tricks to know that one cannot guess (eg how to move a thingy on a panel [uselessly complicated imo]).

> From Lancelot, just drag and drop.  From kickoff, it's right click and Add
> to Panel.

Thank you -- I'm definitely switching to lancelot (instead of kickoff). Is there a way to move icons (esp. app lauchers) from/to desktop/other panel?

Comment: If this is not easily possible, it's probably not such a big issue for most people don't do that very often, but getting rid of simple drag n drop (that previously worked on kde too, IIRC) is certainly not a progress. And for people like me who constantly rearrange the layout according to current work/needs, making simple things heavy is not a progress, neither.

> > There is definitively something wrong here, for sure, because the
> > behaviour is not consistent. Eg putting a CD may result in having
> > matching icon (in dolphin's view) -- or not. And once opened the
> > corresponding folder may or may show its content. Also, the CD's name is
> > shown randomly (else I get cdrom*).
> >
> The behaviour when a CD is inserted is probably matched to the type of
> content.  As Duncan explained, the content show up in Dolphin when it is
> mounted (which you can do either on the notifier or in Dolphin itself0,
> but audio CDs are not mounted, so it may well look different.

Actually, they are only data CDs. I observe different behaviour even with the same CD. To get it correctly opened in Dolphin, I sometimes to switch several times to another forder, then back to cdrom*; if issues remain, generally taking it out (physically, from the drive) may solve the problem. I have 2 CD drives and issues seem ~ identical (none works well, otherwise I would know the issue is probably not software-related and would use the one that works).

= location of config

> Take a look at ~/.kde/share/apps - you will find there your personal files
> regarding the applications, whereas in ~/.kde/share/config you will find
> your personal configuration files for the applications.  That are the two
> directories that you need to be aware of.  For the most part you can leave
> the rest to get on with things :-)

Sorry, I was stupid. Understood the word "share" quite literally and didn't even explore sub-folders. Thank you for the information.

> One page I would recommend that you read is
> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_Management - it gives you a lot of
> information about features in Dolphin that you might not otherwise find
> for some time.
>
> Anne

Thank you again,
seems most of my problems are on a good path; and maybe the rest are solved by installing kde4.3.3.

Denis