How do I get kdialog to be used by thunderbird?

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 15 10:39:04 GMT 2009

On Saturday 14 November 2009 22:19:17 Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have looked everywhere. I'd like to be able to save files by using
>  kdialog in thunderbird and firefox instead of using the gtk file picker.
>
> Inside thunderbird I have the ability to set
> ui.allow_platform_file_picker
>
> to true but if I do it uses the ugly builtin picker. False gets me to the
>  gtk file picker. Is there a way to speciffy this in kde somehow? Or is
>  this a thunderbird/firefox problem?
>
> I'm running kde-4.3.2.
>
> TIA

As Duncan explains, in the Mozilla apps have the ability to use the native
dialog, however only the Gtk one was implemented by Mozilla.  The good news is
that openSuse 11.2 has just been released with KDE file dialog support in
Firefox as well as other integration like using the KDE application launcher,
so it's only a matter of time before the other distos pick this up.  I'm not
sure if this will also apply to Thunderbird.

http://news.opensuse.org/2009/10/27/sneak-peeks-at-opensuse-11-2-kde-4-3-
experience-with-lubos-lunak/
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration

John.