Ripping CDs - The purpose of this mailing list

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 15:06:14 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 10:45:04 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 November 2009 08:26:22 James Tyrer wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > I would assume that they already have such lists.
> >
> > Don't know who "they" are, but I was talking about KDE -- a list to
> > discuss building KDE from source @mail.kde.org.  If you want this
> > discussion segregated, then please see that the list is created.
> >
> > And ASAIK, there isn't such a list elsewhere.  It would not be logical
> > for it to be elsewhere.
>
> It would be logical for Gentoo to host their own lists.  It's not KDE's job
> to look after Gentoo.  I've no more to say.
>
> Anne

Anne as your are a relatively new comer to this list it's worth respectfully
pointing out that James is entirely correct. As 4 becomes more stable you
will find that more and more people like James will start using the list.
(well i hope they do.)  Me I have been using it for  years and years. Each
time a new version comes out the list is likely to get very active with many
rather technical questions irrespective of distro. Some even roll their own.
>From a comment Kevin made some time ago most of the action is currently on
the debian unstable list at the moment. I haven't checked what stable is
running recently but would expect it still to be 3.?  Me I still run 3 for
the same reason but it's beginning to look like I will be able to switch to
4.?????  shortly or maybe I will wait and switch once debian stable is
running it. Not that I will load debian.

I can't see the point in any arguments about what sort  of questions etc
should be asked on the list. It's irrelevant. One asks stating the distro,
kde version etc and hope for an answer. Problems are often related to
specific distro's and may even be nothing to do with KDE. But when the list
is active which it isn't really at the moment there is a high probability
that some other kde user some where has had exactly the same problem and has
solved it. I personally really do hope this list returns to it's former
glory. I have found it extremely useful at times. Not so distro lists. They
mostly seem to go on and on about nothing and don't produce answers.

Posters should always add something like this to any questions

Suse 10.3 64bit KDE 3.5.7 release 72.9
plus appropriate app versions if needed

That way if there is some one about capable of answering a question they have
the information needed to answer it. Due to the nature of the beast just the
kde release number isn't of much use. Dostro's make changes. Suse has been a
particularly bad example of that and unravelling it often requires a high
level of expertise. Some times it even seems to be impossible to find out
exactly what they have done.

John

Suse 10.3 64bit KDE 3.5.7 release 72.9 ( :) added even though I ask no
questions at the moment )