ftp sites and konqueror

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Fri May 22 22:01:29 BST 2009

On Saturday 23 May 2009 04:22:29 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Rick Miles wrote:
> > On Friday 22 May 2009 09:45:52 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >  > Rick Miles wrote:
> >  > > I noted today that I was not able to open folders when accessing an
> >  > > ftp site with a vanilla configuration of konqeror in kde-4.2.3. It
> >  > > seems that konqueror falls open trying to open a file when I click
> >  > > on a
> >
> > folder
> >
> >  > > om ftp sites.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > For example: once logged in I was presenetd with the following in an
> >  > > information popup:
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > "Open 'ftp://ftp.rickmiles.com.au/public_html/turtlespond/gauri'?
> >  > > Type: folder" and presented with the options: "Save As...", "Open
> >  > > with `konqueror`" and "Cancel"
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > When I select "Open with `konqueror`" I get an erro popup telling
> >
> > me (in
> >
> >  > > this instance):
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > "ftp://ftp.rickmiles.com.au/public_html/turtlespond/gauri is a
> >  > > folder, but a file was expected."
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > I have tried this on several public ftp mirrors as well thinking it
> >  > > might have something to do accessing my own website but I get the
> >  > > same result no matter what site I go to.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > In kde-3.5.10 konqueror navigates ftp sites the same as navigating
> >  > > through directories on this box. There is no information popup.
> >  > > Konqueror just opens the directory when it is clicked upon.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > Has anyone else tried using konqueror on ftp sites with kde-4.2.3?
> >  >
> >  > Yes, and I have had no problems.
> >  >
> >  > So, I have to say that I am not certain what you are doing, but it
> >  > appears that you are trying to use an FTP site that you have to log in
> >  > to. I have not tried that yet.
> >  >
> >  > Remember that you should use the FileManagement profile for FTP.
> >  >
> >  > If I go to a not log on site, it works correctly. Would you please
> >  > try:
> >  >
> >  > ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/
> >
> > Ok I'm using kde.4.2.3 now
> >

> > When I click the above link I never even get a browser, just an error
> > popup with the message "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ is a folder, but a file
> > was expected."
>
> This works on my system so it is probably that somehow your system has
> become mis-configured.

> [...]
This seems to be a problem with ftp sites only. Normal navigation within this
system is not a problem.

I can enter http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/slackware/ and click into
subfolders but I get the expected file error when I go to
ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/slackware/

I have also tried using fish://192.168.x.x to remote boxes and interestingly there
is a similar problem.

I have now followed your instructions and under file assiciations there was a
konqueror listed first and then a Konqueror the lower case listing was first and I
deleted that. Everything works as it should now.

I do not understand how it came about that there were two konquerors listed in a
vanilla .kde file and probably never will. The only konqueror thing I copied over
from the .kde from 3.5.10 were the bookmarks. Perhaps something became confused as
I immediately began file browsing with konqueror instead of the default Dolphin. I
just looked in the default applications settings and it is set to use konqueror as
the file manager. Perhaps these settings travel in the /kab or /kabc directories
which I did copy over from kde-3.5.10

Thanks for the pointer

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Pungenday, the 70th of Discord, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au