ftp sites and konqueror

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri May 22 19:22:29 BST 2009

Rick Miles wrote:
> On Friday 22 May 2009 09:45:52 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>  > Rick Miles wrote:
>  > > I noted today that I was not able to open folders when accessing an ftp
>  > > site with a vanilla configuration of konqeror in kde-4.2.3. It seems
>  > > that konqueror falls open trying to open a file when I click on a
> folder
>  > > om ftp sites.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > For example: once logged in I was presenetd with the following in an
>  > > information popup:
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > "Open 'ftp://ftp.rickmiles.com.au/public_html/turtlespond/gauri'?
>  > > Type: folder" and presented with the options: "Save As...", "Open with
>  > > `konqueror`" and "Cancel"
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > When I select "Open with `konqueror`" I get an erro popup telling
> me (in
>  > > this instance):
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > "ftp://ftp.rickmiles.com.au/public_html/turtlespond/gauri is a folder,
>  > > but a file was expected."
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > I have tried this on several public ftp mirrors as well thinking it
>  > > might have something to do accessing my own website but I get the same
>  > > result no matter what site I go to.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > In kde-3.5.10 konqueror navigates ftp sites the same as navigating
>  > > through directories on this box. There is no information popup.
>  > > Konqueror just opens the directory when it is clicked upon.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Has anyone else tried using konqueror on ftp sites with kde-4.2.3?
>  >
>  > Yes, and I have had no problems.
>  >
>  > So, I have to say that I am not certain what you are doing, but it
>  > appears that you are trying to use an FTP site that you have to log in
>  > to. I have not tried that yet.
>  >
>  > Remember that you should use the FileManagement profile for FTP.
>  >
>  > If I go to a not log on site, it works correctly. Would you please try:
>  >
>  > ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/
>

> Ok I'm using kde.4.2.3 now
>

> When I click the above link I never even get a browser, just an error
> popup with the message "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ is a folder, but a file
> was expected."

This works on my system so it is probably that somehow your system has
become mis-configured.

What happens if you open the file manager and click on a folder that in
your user account? Or, copy and paste the link into an open Konqueror or
Dolphin session?

Or, right click a folder select properties and click the icon to "Edit
file type".  The window title should contain: "inode".  On the "General"
tab, "Application Preference Order" should have either Konqueror or
Dolphin at the top of the list.  Then in the "Embedding" tab, "Services
Preference Order" should have "Dolphin View (dolphinpart)" at the top of
the list.  The radio list should have "Use setting for 'inode' group"
selected, but "Show file in embedded viewer" will also work.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch