migrating kmail stuff to kde4

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed May 20 21:36:09 BST 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 19:31:01 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2009 23:07:10 Rick Miles wrote:

> > > I'm using the same /home/rick directory for both my stable (12.2) and
> > > beta (current) slackware installs this was never before with kde.3 even
> > > though versions were different. I wasn't an "aware" linux user when
> > > things went from kde2 to 3 so I can't say what problems there might
> > > have been but I know that not all kde3 application configs worked well
> > > in in the kde-4.2.2 environment, konsole, kate and konqueror to name
> > > three I had problems with last time around

> > > I have a .kde3 and a .kde4 and a script that symlinks a .kde to one or
> > > the other depending on which version of kde is installed on the system.
> > > Tested fine  for 5 or 6 logins each way and was working well
> > > thereafter, I'm sure that's not the problem

> > > This is Slackware which ships everything vanilla just as upstream
> > > released it albeit after qt4 and kde4 came out of testing there are
> > > kde-compatability packages in extra if one wants to install them to run
> > > legacy kde3 aps on 4

> > > I'll have another go at this again tonight (maybe) There may have also
> > > been a non-kde issue involved as somehow I had started an arecord
> > > script in the background and had a couple whooping great .wav's in my
> > > home directory taking that partition just about up to 100%. I did not
> > > know this untill I hit the icon to check mail and got a 'can't open,
> > > disk ful'l message. I killed the proccess deleted the .wav's and when I
> > > next tried kmail it said there was no user and asked if I wanted to
> > > configure one. I killed that popup to prevent any possible overwrites
> > > but when kmail came up everything had changed although my user and isp
> > > details remained intact.
> > >
> > > Dunno
> > >
> > > Oh, Hi Anne, thanks for the input as well.
> >
> > I figured I'd try to configure the kmail in 4.2.3 as is/was I was not
> > able to get the traditional list view by date on a single line but was
> > able to get a double line (subject and sender) by date in most folders
> > although some remained partially threaded and were missing posts which
> > were visible in kde-3.5.10.
> >
> > I have copied over the kde-3.5.10 configs again and this has held
> > together for several transits between the two versions.
>
> In aggregation, I have Activity by Date, threaded, then using the configure
> button, on Groups, threading and sorting,
>
> grouping		none
> threading		perfect by references and by subject
>
> I don't recall having to change anything else.  HTH
>
> Anne
The buttons for setting this stuff up are not to the right of my search bar in
kde-3.5.10 although the option selection may exist somewhere inside a menu. I have
used the default view in kmail since suse 6 something, one line at a time maybe I
look at it as a stream editor would, or read stdout during a boot or a make
process. In a quick scan of a list I find threads and aggregation a hindrance.

The copied over configs are still holding up I believe it would've been a crash or
failure to close properly hence no write to disk, that prompted kmail to try to
set up a new set of config files thus corrupting the existing.

Translated into kde-4.2.3 settings. i.e. the 4 buttons, I now have

Message Status	 - Any Status
Sort - Date Time
Aggregate - Flate date view
Theme - Classic
--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Sweetmorn, the 68th of Discord, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au