Is anyone having issue viewing avi's/mpg's with Kubuntu Jaunty?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri May 1 03:08:12 BST 2009

Orthaide wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently did a full iso-disk install to Kubuntu Jaunty and really dig
> the new KDE features. The only issue I'm having is that whatever video
> program I use (Dragonplayer, Kaffeine, Kmplayer, etc)... I get audio but
> no video. Just a blue screen. I believe all my codecs are installed, and
> tried running kaffeine with both xine and gstreamer. The only driver
> that seems to work is the xshm, but the video is jumpy and crashes the
> program.
>
> After doing several google searches, I see this has happened in the past
> with other versions of Linux, but couldn't find a solution.
>
> I'm sure this isn't a KDE issue, and although this is a KDE forum,
> perhaps I'm asking in the wrong area. So please forgive me in advance.
> But even if someone can point me in the right direction, I'd be much
> obliged :-)
>
> Also, as a note.... just prior to this (last week) I was running
> Intrepid for several months, and never had the problem.

IIUC, AVI is just a container format -- it can use various codecs.
Playing some formats is dependent on actual MS-Windows DLLs (and other
files) which were probably not included in the distro.  These should be
installed in $PREFIX/lib/codecs/ [PREFIX is probably '/usr'].  My
directory has 133 files in it.

If you don't have these, they can be downloaded from:

ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20071007.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20071007.tar.bz2

depending on whether you want just the common ones or everything.

There is information here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html

--
JRT