[kde] KDE 4.2.1 Apps Toolbar (Text frayed-out)

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 06:43:25 BST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Rajko M. <rmatov101 at charter.net> wrote:

> On Monday 30 March 2009 10:57:27 am Jay Mistry wrote:
>> had you downloaded them and then seen at 100% zoom, it may have been
>> clearer. Anyway, these 2 new ones are png and with a higher res of
>> 1024 X 768.
>
> The first problem for me wasn't image. Even in the worst quality I was able to
> see the problem.
>
> Bigger deal is that you post to 2 different forums and by now I have trouble
> to follow.

I was not sure whether the problem was with openSUSE or with KDE,
hence mailed to both Mail Lists. And it has been fruitful because
suggestions have come in from both Mail Lists.
If you are subscribed to either of them, there should be not trouble
following the thread.

> Back to problem:
>
> That, characters with missing top, is a problem  between KDE, X server and
> graphic card driver.
>
> I hope that you logged out from KDE and then back in after each change to
> xorg.conf. If you didn't logged out, then your X server is not restarted and
> then you can't see any change.

I re-started the system after making the changes, but still the
font/text toolbar problem is as before.
The present xorg.conf is at http://pastebin.ca/1377632.

> To debug problem, it would be usefull to change driver to opensource one and
> see is problem still there.
>
> You can also try to change to the different font. It could be that some fonts
> are affected, other not.

> I was confused by your initial description - thinking that you meant that they
> were cut off horizontally.  Now I see that you have lost the top row of
> pixels, or so, which is certainly not normal.  Mine are all absolutely find.
> Could it be caused by the graphics driver?  I don't know.  What graphics card
> and driver are you using?
>
> I use nvidia proprietary driver, but they are not the same :-) (I know it is
> obvious, but people do forget that sometimes).

I use a 17" (widescreen) Monitor (LG 177WSB) set at it's native
resolution of 1440 X 900.

And the nVidia Driver (180.29) for the nVidia GeForce 8400GS Graphics
Card is 180.29
linux__:~ # rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia
x11-video-nvidiaG02-180.29-0.1
nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-pae-180.29_2.6.27.18_0.3-0.1
nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-default-180.29_2.6.27.18_0.3-0.1

> One last shot, perhaps the display size in xorg.conf is incorrect???

I don't think there's  any problem with xorg.conf, since the display
in KDE 3.5 and XFCE is fine.

> From your images it seems like you have a font problem too.(?) I find it much
> harder to read than what i have here. Also your problem just may be
> originating from the theme you use. What widget and icon theme do you use?
> Could you set it to oxygen default and check again?

Currently, I am using:
Style = QtCurve
Icons = Mist
Window Decoration = Redmond
Gtk Styles & Fonts:
Gtk Style = Qt Curve
Gtk Fonts = (Use another font - Adobe Helvetica 8)

I don't want to change to another icons theme (Oxygen) as in my
experience it alters the other display settings as well & it is
difficult to get back to the current scheme.

> It appears that somehow you do not have wrapping for icon lables/text
> as you only get one line.  I am still on 3.5 and get two lines
> wrapped, but not a third and see "cut-off" on the end of the second
> line, ie: xxx.....

I didn't see option for this in 'System Settings - Appearance' , where
can this be altered ?

> You can also try to change to the different font. It could be that some fonts
> are affected, other not.
> This appears to be a bug.  However, I think that if you choose a font
> other than Helvetica that the problem will go away.  Would you please
> try this?

This is what I am trying out just now-various fonts for the Toolbar
(presently using 'Sans Serif 8' , no change in toolbar text.

Thanks,

Jay

--
Linux User 483705  (openSUSE 11.1, Fedora 10)