Yet another post of KDE 4.2 impressions

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Sat Mar 28 19:28:02 GMT 2009

In <20090328123226.GA10946 at localhost>, Christian Henz wrote:
>Application launcher:
>---------------------
>What makes no sense to me at all is that applications are listed by their
> description and not their name. For example there are two entries called
> "Web browser", and I have to distinguish them by their icons, or move the
> mouse over the Description to find out what the actual application is
> (konqueror, firefox). IMO this should be exactly the other way around: List
> the application name (konqueror), and then show the description ("Web
> Browser") when hovering over the entry.

This is intentional.  Users are generally focused on a task (in the
description) and not a particular application (in the name).  This is even
more true of newer users.

>Konqueror (web):
>----------------
>Positive: The two features from Firefox I missed the most in Konqueror where
> adopted: There is incremental search now, and it does not block the view
> onto the page I'm trying to search. Also there is a sidebar with
> incremental search for bookmarks etc.

I had this in Konq for KDE 3.5.9.

>Conclusion:
>I think the KDE project has done itself and the linux desktop a disservice
> by advertising this release as "recommended for majority of end users",
> because for me personally, upgrading to 4.2 has been a step backwards in my
> user experience. There are just too many things that feel unfinished.

It is still ready for the majority of end users, and the KDE project is no
longer supporting KDE 3, so they recommend you upgrade.

KDE 4.2 still does not appear to have all the features KDE 3.5 had, but it is
a lot better than KDE 3.2. :)
bss at iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))