Yet another post of KDE 4.2 impressions

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 28 16:18:24 GMT 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 15:38:24 Christian Henz wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:56:02PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> They do have icons, but that is just my point. Not every icon is
> immediately recognizable, especially on seldom used applications, or they
> look similar... I cannot understand how 50% would prefer this labeling
> scheme... I think it would only be helpful for a very unexperienced user
> for a short time and start to get in the way rather quickly. I am annoyed
> by it every time I use the launcher now...

It used to be possible to change that in kmenu-editor, but that app doesn't
seem to be in my distro.  I'm not sure what has happened to it - I'm sure I've
seen it since I started using KDE4.  I'll ask about that.

> > > sometimes there is a little "-" ontop of
> > > it (no idea what that means).
> >
> > It means that if you hit that, it will remove the widget in question.
>
> I don't mean the separate "-" icon - that one I understand :)
> I mean the fact that the yellow star sometimes has a "-" drawn ontop of it.

Did you try it?  I don't have one like that at all, so I can't try it myself.

> Mhh, they work for me too, it is just that too many of them are shown when
> I open the Bookmarks menu. In Firefox, this is implemented as a scrollable
> list, which looks much more sane (even though it is not very practical to
> use with that many bookmarks) and does not get in the way. BTW this is
> probably not a KDE 4.2 issue, I just noticed it now.

My bookmarks in Konqueror are a scrollable list, just as they are in Firefox.

> > Take a look at the shortcuts in systemsettings/Advanced tab and see why
> > that is happening
>
> Obviously these shortcut can be (and habe been) changed by the user. But my
> point was that too many as well as conflicting shortcuts are enabled by
> default.

I expect that is also a matter of preference.  What I was referring to was
your claim that a wrong application is being launched.  I was saying that you
should find out why in File Associations and fix it.  I can't believe that
this is happening to everyone else - there would have been lots of screams if
it were.

> > > Audio:
> > > ------
> >
> > Sound is problematic on some hardware.  Please do not remove pulseaudio
> > until you have explored all possibilities of fixing it.  You need to ask
> > specific questions, probably both here and on a debian list.
>
> Well it has not been problematic on my hardware for quite some time, as
> long as applications did not use OSS and stuck to the "default" Alsa PCM
> device. Now I see weird stuff like a "x-phonon" Alsa device (wasn't Phonon
> supposed to be high level?) and sound does not work properly...

'Doesn't work properly' tells us nothing.  Why not start a thread with a
precise definition of the problem?

Anne