KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Wed Mar 25 16:40:46 GMT 2009

In <49CA2EEE.5070701 at gmail.com>, paulo wrote:
>On 03/24/2009 04:13 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> * The new NetworkManager widget is looking pretty good.
>
>wtf? Which? Where? When? What? Who?

I'm not sure where upstream is, but I'm talking about the package
NetworkManager-kde4 from the openSUSE 11.1 repository for KDE4:Factory
(currently 4.2.1).

The version I have is:
NetworkManager-kde4-0.7.svn924744-60.24

>I'm trying (as in every other day) the svn version and, I can't even
>select the connection tab. Or any other tab apart the vpn, which comes
>preselected.

Wireless, Wired, and VPN are available to me, although I really only use the
Wireless tab.

You are using NetworkManager, right?  It really only works in connection
with NetworkManager, which some people don't like.  NM works well for my use
of my laptop, but I do disable it for my desktop.

>Doesn't even have a taskbar icon. Will crash if I try to
>apply any option...

I have my widget in the panel, it has at least 3 icons (disconnected, wired,
wireless) and an animation (spinning dots: "working") that I've seen.  I
have it configured for 2 different work wireless networks plus my home
wireless network, all set to auto-connect and it works well.

It seems to auto-connect even if it already has a fully-working connection
via the wired connection, which is a bit stupid but that works fine.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))