KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 25 12:32:47 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 12:14:48 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 March 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I think the real problem is that you don't discover the advantages until
> > you've used it for a while, and many people don't stick with it long
> > enough to make the discovery.  All is not perfect, but then it never was.
> >  I always said that 'bling' does not attract me - I never bothered with
> > compiz, for instance - but this steady adding of features that are
> > genuinely useful make KDE4 the desktop of choice for me.  It won't be for
> > everyone, but that's life :-)
> >
> > Anne
>
> Then they should fix the panel first. _This_ is pivotal in my use of a
> desktop. The panel takes too much place

You can choose whether to have it full width, smaller, or using a separate
taskbar elsewhere on the screen

> and you don't hav enough control on
> where you put what,

You can't control which items go in the systray - you never could - but you
can control everything else.

> and these "zones" that shrink or grow on their own are
> a problem.

The only zone that I know that acts like that is the systray - and you can
hide icons in the systray  if you need to make it smaller.

> I'm not playing with my computer, I'm working with it. Perhaps this summer
> I have some time to just toy and discover, but for the time being I need
> things to be done, and KDE 4 is not there yet.

Or maybe you haven't taken the time to learn it?  You tell us what you need to
do but can't, and we'll tell you whether there is a way to do it, and help you
through if necessary.  You can save a lot of learning time with carefully
worded questions.

Anne