How to disable Plasma

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Wed Mar 25 06:46:03 GMT 2009

>> how can I disable Plasma?
>
> It is most likely started through the autostart mechanism, i.e. a
> .desktop file in one of the directories listed by this command:
>
> % kde4-config --path autostart

Hmm.  To assure that we are talking about the same KDE version:
`kde4-config --version' gives

  Qt: 4.5.0
  KDE: 4.2.1 (KDE 4.2.1) "release 104"
  kde4-config: 1.0

and `kde4-config --types' doesn't show an `autostart' category at all
(but `kde-config --types' doesn't show this either).

Oh, oh.  I just see that `kde4-config --path apps' gives

  /home/wl/.kde4/share/applnk/:/usr/share/applnk/

While I have `/home/wl/.kde4/share/applnk', I don't have a
`/usr/share/applnk' directory at all!  I do have

  /opt/kde3/share/applnk

though (which is almost completely empty).  On the other hand, there
is a

  /usr/share/applications

directory which holds .desktop files.  Looks like a bug in either the
packaging for openSuSE 11.1 (I use the KDE package repository so that
I get all the updates) or in kde4-config itself...  Is this a known
issue?  Otherwise, shall I report to the openSuSE or KDE people?

I eventually found

  /usr/share/autostart

and there is indeed a `plasma.desktop' file.

> Hidden=true

Thanks.

    Werner