KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Wed Mar 25 05:36:31 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Now it appears that, at least in OpenSuSE, this file gets overwritten
> > with the defaults (or the present settings, I don't know) when you
> > log out, so your changes are lost.
>
> I should first tell you that you should only edit the file when the
> session it is for is NOT running.  This tends to be true of many
> configuration files for KDE (in 3.x.y as well).

I suppose this means starting a Gnome (or other desktop) session, or first
killing X?

(...)

> Starting at 0, there is a problem that the KDE-4 project doesn't start
> at 0.  If this was a new independent project and we had released version
> 0.2.1, nobody would be complaining since users would figure that when it
> got to 1.0.0 that it would probably work correctly.  So, we really
> shouldn't call this KDE-4.x.y, it should be called KDE4-0.x.y.

I absolutely agree. Being an ex-OS/2 user I've always thought it should have
been called KDE/2, and it should have been said that KDE 3.x would remain
(but no more be developped) and /2 would eventually be the successor.

I plainly trust the developpers to make KDE 4 a wonderful piece of software
(in the end), but I doubt it will be there in 0.4.3 (pardon, 4.3) and
Distribution makers like Novell (pardon, OpenSuSE) said they want to go "KDE
4 only" as of their next release.

If I have to upgrade my distribution (this may be necessary depending on
hardware) I will probably swith to Gnome and ... may never come back (what's
more, you can perfectly start KDE 4 apps from Gnome).

One way or the other, I'll miss KDE 3 features, so the winner will be either
the one that makes me loose less, or the one that brings me some killer
feature. For the time being, the only one I found in 4.2 is the possibility
to have two clocks on my two screns that are set do different timezones...

That's not enough fo me at the moment, and while I thank all the contributors
to this thread for sharing their thoughts, it seems to me ovious that they
have to _think_ to show a feature that makes KDE 4 sensible "against" KDE 3

Thierry

--
“Microsoft isn't evil,
they just make really crappy operating systems.” Linus Torvald