KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Tue Mar 24 16:13:49 GMT 2009

In <200903240842.42146.tcoulon at decoulon.ch>, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
>What new features make KDE 4 interresting to you !?!?

* KWin desktop effects.
* improved KMail interface (it takes a little getting used to)
* Phonon
* Okular
* DolphinPart is nice. (Currently I still prefer Konqueror as a file manager
though.)
* The new NetworkManager widget is looking pretty good.

And my biggest problems so far:
* My kicker applets aren't all turned into plasma widgets yet.
Particularly, ksysguard-applet.  That said, I seem to remember that applet
didn't make it into KDE 3 until KDE 3.4 and it appears to be planned for KDE
4.3.
* Akonadi won't use my existing RDBMSes (postgresql and sqlite).  I refuse
to install yet another RDBMS, so I just don't get to use Akonadi.
* Applications got generally worse at remembering their size and position,
so I've had to use KWin features I haven't needed before.  (I'm almost sure
this will come back to bite me when I least expect it.)
* Konsole started supporting Ctrl+S/Ctrl+Q, and *something* about my
configuration prevents it from being turned off (the check box is "disabled"
but checked).  I use(d) Ctrl+S for other things, and now I simply can't.
* Konqueror/KMail won't accept my personal CA's self-signed cert.  Konqueror
"pretends" it does, by updating the dialog, but closing and then opening the
dialog again shows the new CA was never persisted.
* In general Konqueror doesn't seem to have gotten that much better as a web
browser.  I still have to fall back to IceWeasel for *far* to many sites.
* Still waiting on Kaffeine4.
* Still waiting on well-integrated tagging, searching, and desktop presence.
* Activity switching on multiple monitors only sort of makes sense.  When
you monitors are "mismatched" some of the wallpaper options don't work quite
right.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))