KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

paulo paulo.jnkml at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 20:26:13 GMT 2009

> Who am I: a Linux user since 1999, and using KDE from version 0.4

I'm a GNU/Linux user since 2000. Can't remember which version of kde I
used first. It was the one that came with RedHat 6.2.
I've been through slackware, gentoo, and now I'm using sabayon (gentoo
based).
During these years I used KDE in the beginning, then for a few years I
used gnome, then fluxbox, and then back to kde3.5 a couple of years ago.
I was actually happy with my choice. It fitted my needs completely. But
a few bugs kept it from being perfect.
> What new features make KDE 4 interresting to you !?!?

- those plasmoids on the desktop are actually useful. I never used or
had any icons on the desktop, but this is different. It's like a quick
launch. I do like it.
- kwin. I do prefer kwin to compiz. Better integrated with the system.

For me, the point of kde4 is not so much the new features, but the new
looks.

One of the problems I had with KDE3,5 was knetworkmanager always failed
to connect the first time.
I couldn't update the system without having to update kdelibs, so I
decided to try the new version.
Actually now I don't even have knetworkmanager!

So was it worth it?
Well I think so. I really like the looks of it. It's starting to look
"professional".
Looks much better than previous version. I do hope that things continue
to improve.
And as long as I get the knetworkmanager back the, there's nothing that
I can say was better before.

It's still a bit rough around the corners, but I would not go back.