A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 22 20:08:36 GMT 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009 17:29:33 Jerry Houston wrote:
> Samuel Kage wrote:
> > If I read the reponses in this thread I imagine the same. Sadly!
> > I dont' know why it is so hard for some people to be honest to themself
> > and see that Kde is really great but has just to many bugs.
> > I've seen many people trying out linux, but resigning because of things
> > that just don't work. For sure its no option for them to write bug
> > reports and wait until it is fixed. So the only logical consequence to
> > attract users is to make sure, that when a software is released, there is
> > no need to write bug reports because ALL main things just work.
>
> Sadly, I need to agree with you.  I have two laptops, two client desktop
> workstations and a server here at home, and all at one time were running
> SuSE Linux.  Now, because of reliability issues, only one client
> workstation and the server are running Linux.  Once I can find the time
> to migrate the workstation to XP-Pro without losing email and such,
> we'll be down to just the server running Linux.
>
> That's because I can't afford to administer a home domain with Server
> 2008, and we DO find it convenient to share resources among our
> computers.  And I don't like to reboot a server every time Microsoft
> releases a update - it's not a big issue with a workstation.
>
> I'm not going to reiterate all the problems I've had - I doubt I've had
> any that haven't been reported already.  The cumulative effect is simply
> this: I don't enjoy using Linux nearly as much as I used to, and the
> plain truth is, I don't have to.
>
> Thunderbird and Firefox run just fine on Windows, as does FileZilla and
> just about everything else I could want.  There is plenty of good
> open-source software for Windows as well.  Linux - to me, anyway - just
> doesn't offer the advantages that it once did.  Maybe Windows (with the
> exception of Vista) is just getting better?  Dunno.

Have you not noticed how many of the people who are complaining about
stability are running the latest SUSE?  SUSE and Fedora are perhaps the two
most bleeding edge distros around.  If you choose to run them you are choosing
to take more risks with your system.  I have few problems with Fedora, but
when they do occur I accept that it is part of the bargain - I choose a
bleeding-edge distro and use bleeding edge repos for my software.  The laptop
that runs Mandriva is much more stable - but I miss out on the latest
improvements.  As the saying goes, "You can't have your cake and eat it".

Anne