A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

Jerry Houston jerry at EffJayAre.net
Sun Mar 22 17:29:33 GMT 2009

Samuel Kage wrote:
> If I read the reponses in this thread I imagine the same. Sadly!
> I dont' know why it is so hard for some people to be honest to themself and
> see that Kde is really great but has just to many bugs.
> I've seen many people trying out linux, but resigning because of things that
> just don't work. For sure its no option for them to write bug reports and wait
> until it is fixed. So the only logical consequence to attract users is to make
> sure, that when a software is released, there is no need to write bug reports
> because ALL main things just work.

Sadly, I need to agree with you.  I have two laptops, two client desktop
workstations and a server here at home, and all at one time were running
SuSE Linux.  Now, because of reliability issues, only one client
workstation and the server are running Linux.  Once I can find the time
to migrate the workstation to XP-Pro without losing email and such,
we'll be down to just the server running Linux.

That's because I can't afford to administer a home domain with Server
2008, and we DO find it convenient to share resources among our
computers.  And I don't like to reboot a server every time Microsoft
releases a update - it's not a big issue with a workstation.

I'm not going to reiterate all the problems I've had - I doubt I've had
any that haven't been reported already.  The cumulative effect is simply
this: I don't enjoy using Linux nearly as much as I used to, and the
plain truth is, I don't have to.

Thunderbird and Firefox run just fine on Windows, as does FileZilla and
just about everything else I could want.  There is plenty of good
open-source software for Windows as well.  Linux - to me, anyway - just
doesn't offer the advantages that it once did.  Maybe Windows (with the
exception of Vista) is just getting better?  Dunno.