howto install a new theme on kde4

paulo paulo.jnkml at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 03:19:30 GMT 2009

> Ignore the previous message (apart from checking out the page link I gave
> you).  I think I've found what you want.  Try SystemSettings>  Appearance>
> Colours>  Colour tab.  It looks as though you can customise your colours of
> just about everything there.
>
> Anne

I found how to change the colors for the QtCurve theme.

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/darkPearl+for+QtCurve?content=97644
 > To use this theme you will need to import the KDE4 color scheme found
in the package (System Settings->Appearance->Colors), then apply the
QtCurve config (System Settings->Appearance->Style->Select QtCurve as
the widget style->Configure->Options->Import).

Unfortunately I don't have that theme.
So I just installed these two:

Blue, looks integrates well with the taskbar
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Crystal?content=75140
Black looks nice, but...
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/deKorator?content=87921

Just download the source and
$> cd <theme directory>/build
$> cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
$> make
(as root or use sudo)
$> make install

then, as user, you might want to restart kwin to test the new themes.
$> kwin --replace

Now the new themes can be chosen from the system settings > appearance >
windows > windows decoration

This is what I would like to have found, so I'm writing it down for the
next...

paulo