A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

Samuel Kage s.kage at gmx.de
Tue Mar 17 16:22:16 GMT 2009

Am Dienstag 17 März 2009 00:17:57 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> Samuel Kage wrote:
> > Currently I'm running KDE 4.2.1 on Opensuse, which is known for making
> > one of the best KDE packages.
>
> I wonder if they make the "best packages" then why do you have these
> problems.  I don't have them on Gentoo ;P

I have never said "best packages" but "one of the best packages"

> > Even though I'm really sad about the stability of KDE these days. For
> > explaining why, i want to describe a common use case for me an many many
> > other users.
> >
> > The first thing I notice, after booting up, is the quicklauncher-bug
> > which makes a very often-used part of the desktop nearly unusable because
> > you cant see the small icons.
>
> Can't confirm :P  Works here.

It's a known bug. Search on bugs.kde.org if you want

> > Next thing is checking my E-mails and the calendar... The week view in
> > Korganizer is gone (I know its just hidden. But for any normal user its
> > completely broken).
>
> I don't use it so I can't know if it's broken here too.

See above.

@Anne: Clicking on week view is not the point! Its a bug.

> > Then i maybe get a message in kopete. That looks very unsmooth, if your
> > panel is aligned to center and not over the whole screen, cause the
> > appearing message button in the systray moves all other plasmoids in the
> > panel around. Once when it appears and once when it disappears (very
> > often).
>
> I use KMess 2 so I also can't check here.
>
> > Now I want to hear music... When starting Amarok I often get a message:
> > The device M-Audio***** (My sound card) is not working.
>
> Never happened here.

But happened here. On three different Pcs. So it's not my fault.

> > When I'm done and want to shut down the pc the last thing that always
> > happens is a plasma crash these days. (last month it was a Kontact crash)
> > which prevents the computer from shutting down.
>
> I never had a crash here with 4.2.1.  The last time I had one was with
> 4.1.3.

See above

> > Overall its partly no smooth experience to use KDE these days and I
> > really don't understand why such things happen.
>
> No idea.  Here, it's very smooth and those things don't happen :P

But its absolutely not the point to discuss abou specific Bugs. The question
is: Should kde be just for developers and enthusiastic Linux fans or should it
ever be for "everyone". I think we all want it to be used by so much users as
possible. Also because it attracts much more deveolopers if it is used and
known by much people. And if we want that, we are really on the wrong way in
my opinion. Especially in this times when we have a real chance to spread
Linux by Netbooks, Handys and whatever will come in future. There has never
been a better chance than now. But if everything goes on like in the past, we
will loose this great chance.