KDE 3.5.10 and KDE 4.2.1 applications /directories

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:26:58 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Rajko M. <rmatov101 at charter.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 03:16:31 am Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> > That's what I meant - SuSE is gradually substituting some parts of KDE
3
>> > with parts of KDE 4, or mixing them, or their install system does not
>> > work correctly, anyway you get two System settings, and you don't know
>> > any more what is controling what. I have in my "K-menu" both "System
>> > settings (Configure Desktop)" -> kcontrol (KDE 3) and  "System settings
>> > (Configure Desktop)" -> systemsettings (KDE 4). You can start both at
the
>> > same time and guess at who controls what. When I run "System settings",
>> > get for some tools (like Configure the window behaviour) a "shared
>> > library not found".
>> >
>> > So the whole thing is a mess. They will justify it by the fact that
3.5.x
>> > is in the "other" choice of graphical environments, while the
"official"
>> > and "stable" choice is 4.2.

> I've seen people trying synonyms, or typing something, anything, and
expecting
> that computer will magically guess what they want.
>
> Not that openSUSE kickoff couldn't have 2 incarnations, for each KDE one,
but
> people would find reason to complain anyway.

It was a question to the KDE Mail List, that I was unable to solve (hence
mailed out), _not a rant/complain_.
As such, on the whole I am happy with both versions of KDE, particularly
since KDE 4 (using KDE 4.2.1 with Qt 4.5) has improved & has become much
more stable than earlier.

> Regards, Rajko

I found a possible pointer on this page-
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/KDE4#Installation (under "KDE3 and KDE4")

> *To prevent the accidental starting of KDE4 applications within a KDE3
> session add at the top of /opt/kde3/bin/startkde *
> *PATH=/opt/kde3/bin:${PATH/:\/opt\/kde3\/bin} export PATH*

However, my /opt/kde3/bin/startkde file has that entry at the top:

#!/bin/sh
> #
> #  DEFAULT KDE STARTUP SCRIPT ( KDE-3.5.10 )
> #
>
> *PATH=/opt/kde3/bin:${PATH/:\/opt\/kde3\/bin}*
> export PATH
> test -x /usr/bin/xrandr && /usr/bin/xrandr --auto
> # When the X server dies we get a HUP signal from xinit. We must ignore it
> # because we still need to do some cleanup.
> trap 'echo GOT SIGHUP' HUP
>
> # Check if a KDE session already is running
> if kcheckrunning >/dev/null 2>&1; then
>     echo "KDE seems to be already running on this display."
>     xmessage -geometry 500x100 "KDE seems to be already running on this
> display." > /dev/null 2>/dev/null
>     exit 1
> fi
>
> # Set the background to plain grey.
> # The standard X background is nasty, causing moire effects and exploding
> # people's heads. We use colours from the standard KDE palette for those
> with
> # palettised displays.
> if test -z "$XDM_MANAGED" || echo "$XDM_MANAGED" | grep ",auto" >
> /dev/null; then
>   : # xsetroot -solid "#C0C0C0"
> fi
>
> # we have to unset this for Darwin since it will screw up KDE's
> dynamic-loading
> unset DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE

Also, this problem persisted after I did an upgrade of KDE 3.5.10 (2 days
back) from the KDE 3.5.x Repo's listed here-
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories#KDE_3.5.x.

Jay

--
Registered Linux User # 483705  (openSUSE 11.1, Fedora 10)
Smolts Profile: