KDE 3.5.10 and KDE 4.2.1 applications /directories

Rajko M. rmatov101 at charter.net
Tue Mar 17 10:08:42 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 03:16:31 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > That's what I meant - SuSE is gradually substituting some parts of KDE 3
> > with parts of KDE 4, or mixing them, or their install system does not
> > work correctly, anyway you get two System settings, and you don't know
> > any more what is controling what. I have in my "K-menu" both "System
> > settings (Configure Desktop)" -> kcontrol (KDE 3) and  "System settings
> > (Configure Desktop)" -> systemsettings (KDE 4). You can start both at the
> > same time and guess at who controls what. When I run "System settings", I
> > get for some tools (like Configure the window behaviour) a "shared
> > library not found".
> >
> > So the whole thing is a mess. They will justify it by the fact that 3.5.x
> > is in the "other" choice of graphical environments, while the "official"
> > and "stable" choice is 4.2.
>
> I see. That is a mess!

Similar is when you start GIMP instead of Abiword.
They both editors, after all, and have some picture in a menu.
It's a mess. You got to watch what to click. ;-)

It is even worse with OpenOffice. Everything is OpenOffice.

I've seen people trying synonyms, or typing something, anything, and expecting
that computer will magically guess what they want.

Not that openSUSE kickoff couldn't have 2 incarnations, for each KDE one, but
people would find reason to complain anyway.

--
Regards, Rajko