A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Mar 16 23:17:57 GMT 2009

Samuel Kage wrote:
> Currently I'm running KDE 4.2.1 on Opensuse, which is known for making one of
> the best KDE packages.

I wonder if they make the "best packages" then why do you have these
problems.  I don't have them on Gentoo ;P

> Even though I'm really sad about the stability of KDE these days. For
> explaining why, i want to describe a common use case for me an many many other
> users.
>
> The first thing I notice, after booting up, is the quicklauncher-bug which
> makes a very often-used part of the desktop nearly unusable because you cant
> see the small icons.

Can't confirm :P  Works here.

> Next thing is checking my E-mails and the calendar... The week view in
> Korganizer is gone (I know its just hidden. But for any normal user its
> completely broken).

I don't use it so I can't know if it's broken here too.

> Then i maybe get a message in kopete. That looks very unsmooth, if your panel
> is aligned to center and not over the whole screen, cause the appearing
> message button in the systray moves all other plasmoids in the panel around.
> Once when it appears and once when it disappears (very often).

I use KMess 2 so I also can't check here.

> Now I want to hear music... When starting Amarok I often get a message: The
> device M-Audio***** (My sound card) is not working.

Never happened here.

> When I'm done and want to shut down the pc the last thing that always happens
> is a plasma crash these days. (last month it was a Kontact crash) which
> prevents the computer from shutting down.

I never had a crash here with 4.2.1.  The last time I had one was with
4.1.3.

> Overall its partly no smooth experience to use KDE these days and I really
> don't understand why such things happen.

No idea.  Here, it's very smooth and those things don't happen :P